Filed under: About Thought Bubble, News, Thought Bubble 2015 | Tags: Comics, Leeds comic con, Leeds comic festival, Leeds Thought Bubble comic festival, Sequential Art, UK Conventions
Ahead of table registration for this year’s convention opening on Monday 2nd March, we wanted to put up some more information on the curation process, and how that will work for this year’s show.
2015’s convention will run on the weekend of 14th and 15th November, taking place at Leeds Dock, on Armouries Square. A map of Leeds with the venue locations on can be found by clicking here.
This year’s Thought Bubble convention will have three exhibition halls: New Dock Hall, Royal Armouries Hall, and the custom built TB Marquee (a hard-shell structure, with carpeting throughout and heating). For more information on all three halls, please click here.
We have always prided ourselves on being as inclusive a show as possible, and it’s very important to us that we stay that way. As much as we’d like to be able to include everyone who may wish to exhibit at the show, Thought Bubble has now reached the stage where the demand for exhibition space exceeds the venue space available to us, and the convention will be curated. This will involve a simple online registration form which will be going live on the website on Monday 2nd March, and remain open for two weeks until 5pm on Monday 16th March. In order that this process remains as fair as possible, after this time we won’t be able to accept any more exhibitor applications (including to the reserves list).
Following the close of the registration window, we’ll contact those who applied by Monday 30th March to confirm whether we’ll be able to accommodate them this year, and also to take payment for the table.
Because of this curation, and the nature of the festival as a forum to promote comics and those who make them, it means that where possible we need to give priority to comic book publishers and retailers, and comic book artists and writers (either independent or publisher-affiliated). If you have exhibited with us in the past and do not fit into this category, please do still fill in the online form once it goes live, as we would love you to come if we do have room in one of the halls.
Every year, we also have a small number of people who book tables and are then unable to attend, and so we’ll form a reserves list of unsuccessful applicants who will be offered tables should they become available. As these offers are based on previously confirmed exhibitors cancelling, we are unable to advise on the date at which they will become available, but as soon as we receive a cancellation we’ll contact the next person/group on the reserves list with first refusal.
The decision on who we can accept to the convention will be made by the organisational team as a whole, to ensure the process remains as fair as possible, but due to the number of applications we receive, we’re unfortunately not able to give feedback to unsuccessful exhibitors, as we’re only a small team. However, to give an idea of what we’re looking for, we’ll need to see:
· Examples of your work, ideally online versions (including webcomics)/e-shop listings of comics/graphic novels/prints/illustrations you’ll have for sale at the show;
· If the above is unavailable, then a portfolio website such as DeviantArt or Tumblr will also be suitable;
· If your work is mostly print, as opposed to online, then we’d also be able to view scanned versions of documents via dropbox links;
· If you’re a solo creator with no online examples of your work, then please link to a bibliography/list of credits where possible;
· If you’re a retailer with no formal online presence, then please give as full an idea as possible as to the range of merchandise/titles you’d be bringing to the convention;
· If in doubt shout it out – tell us about what you think you can bring to Thought Bubble, even if it may seem obvious to you, if it’s not immediately apparent on the information you provide to us we may not know about it, and we don’t want anyone to miss out;
· Finally, and perhaps most importantly, when filling out the application form, take your time – you’ve got two weeks from the form going live, and all applications received in that window are considered fully after the close of the registration period before a final decision is made, so make sure to fill it in correctly and with as much detail as possible to the answers.
Full details as to pricing and tabling terms and conditions will go live on the website along with the registration form on Monday 2nd March. Please make sure to read these carefully, as they contain very important information about attending the convention, should your application be successful.
Once the registration form goes live, we’ll be asking for your help to spread the word, so that no one misses out on applying to attend. We’ll be shouting out on our twitter (@thoughtbubbleuk) and Facebook Page (search “Thought Bubble Festival”) once the registration form goes live, and we’ll also be emailing all previous year’s exhibitors and applicants to let them know.
We’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who supports Thought Bubble, and we look forward to seeing many of you this November!
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment